Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrendering Pride
Surrendering Pride
Recently, I was shocked to learn from God that I had pride in my heart that I needed to get rid of. I say I was shocked because I always thought of pride as something that other people had issues with, and that these people were kind of dumb for ever puffing themselves up in such a way. I had also very recently written a message about humility because God showed me some things about what it really meant to be humble. I guess it hadn't entirely sunk in.

Proverbs 8:1,4,13,35,36 (NIV) "1 Does not Wisdom call out? Does not Understanding raise her voice?...4 'To you, O man, I call out; I raise my voice to all mankind. ...13 To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. ...35 For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. 36 But whoever fails to find me harms himself, all who hate me love death.'"
I also learned that pride is a sneaky kind of sin (well, most sin is sneaky.) that hides in your heart until you're so desperately miserable that you can't help but come crashing down at the feet of God, begging to be led out of whatever mess it is that you've landed yourself in. So that's why I was shocked. I was miserable and crying out to God for deliverance, when God said, "You have pride in your heart."

I said, "What? God, I think I heard You wrong."

Then, one night when I was telling my wife about how rough things were going at work and how mad I was about something, and she said, "Sounds like pride, Jonny." Well, I didn't like that one bit. And then finally, things really blew up and I just had to surrender.

Pride Defined
When I went to look the word 'Pride' up in the dictionary, it was interesting that the very last thing that the Cambridge Dictionary featured for 'Pride' was, " Pride comes before a fall." All of the other references were positive, including pride as satisfaction and pride as respect for oneself.

The Bible's discussion of pride is overwhelmingly negative. That's not to say that the Bible doesn't want us to have satisfaction in life or to respect ourselves. The truth is that the world sees very little wrong with pride, but that's because the world refuses to accept God's importance in a person's life.

In God's eyes, there are two types of pride. The first is good pride, but the Bible doesn't really call it pride. In fact, the verses that pertain to this concept look at it in terms of self-acceptance and wholeness of self. One such versus is GivenLife's namesake Bible verse, John 10:10, (KJV) "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." As Christians, we can take pride in who we are in Christ.

The other kind of pride is the kind that drives a wedge between a Christian and God. God's word says that it is wisdom to rid yourself of pride. The Bible also contrasts pride with obedience and subjugation. This is one reason why the world isn't too keen on pride. In the world's eyes, it's not fun to obey or to subject yourself to authority. You shouldn't have to do that if you don't want to! The bottom line is that this kind of pride is sin. Leviticus 26:19 calls continuing sin "stubborn pride" (NIV), "pride of your power" (KJV), and an "arrogant spirit" (NLT).

The Consequences of Pride
Pride deceives. It makes you feel self-important and can make you feel as though the world is out to get you. When you're consumed by pride, you'll find yourself thinking that things just "aren't fair!" You'll also find yourself thinking, "Why should I have to do this? Someone else could just as easily do this, so why should I do it!?"

One of the first things that God did to help me start dealing with my pride was to tell me that I was supposed to fill the ice cube trays at work, and that I was supposed to do it without grumbling. No matter how maddening it was that people would put empty ice trays back into the freezer, I needed to just fill them up and praise God for teaching me. It was/is tough, and I still grumble from time to time, and have to ask for forgiveness.

God showed me that the answer to "Why me?" was because He is God. So, after a while, replacing the ice cubes became a reminder of how much God loves me. It's still annoying when I'm in a hurry, and I try not to let it become a legalistic thing, but it's now an important part of my walk with Jesus.

Another consequence of pride is that the Devil invariably brings condemnation upon prideful people (I Timothy 3:6). You'll go from 60 to Zero in nothing flat - from feeling like the most important person in the world to the most worthless person in the world. There again, pride is deceptive. You are precious to God, not worthless.

God's Word About Pride
The Bible is clear that pride is not part of God's plan for our lives. Proverbs 29:23 (NIV) says, "A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor."

The Amplified Bible says, "A man's pride will bring him low, but he who is of a humble spirit will obtain honor."

Psalms 138:6 (NLT) says, "For though the Lord is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly; but the haughty he knows from afar."

So, Who's Excited to Be LOWLY!?
Sounds like we're supposed to be flogging ourselves every day, doesn't it? The thing to remember is that God's kingdom is a paradoxical kingdom. The last shall be first and the least are the greatest; the lowly are regarded by the Lord. Another translation says that " He cares for the humble " (Psalms 138:6 NLT). Again, from the world's viewpoint, subjecting yourself to authority means that you will suffer, but the truth of God is that when you submit yourself to His authority in your life, you will be blessed .

In life, we will always exalt something or in other words, hold something in high regard. It will either be ourselves, something worldly, or God Almighty. God's plan is for us to lay ourselves at His feet; for us to exalt Him above all else and then, thanks to Jesus' sacrifice, we can be exalted by God's presence in our lives. That's what gives us the good kind of pride. Colossians 2:10 (NLT) says, "9 For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body, 10 and you are complete through your union with Christ. He is the Lord over every ruler and authority in the universe."

To escape from pride, we need to humble ourselves completely to God and to realize that we need to be completely obedient and dependent upon Him for our every need. Stay connected to Jesus, listening for His firm, but gentle correction, and He will help you to cleanse your heart of pride and stay out of it in the future.

GivenLife.com
This word posted by Lonnie Mackley

What's That Smell?

PR 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

I want to talk about something briefly that really smells in God's kingdom and in ministry, and that is spiritual pride. Spiritual pride is basically just an overinflated view of our spiritual importance, ability, and value compared to that of others. It's not just thinking we are better spiritually than others, it's an attitude that we exist on a spiritual level that deserves service, worship, and abasement by most others around us. It is a stench that stinks to high heaven.

MK 9:35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

Sometimes if someone has had some blessing on their giftings or ministry they then start thinking that they are the be all, end all of ministry, and everyone around them are just there to support and help them, and very lucky to be able do so. This could not be farther from the truth because in the kingdom the most important person is always the person who is in the greatest need. We should always be asking God how we can serve others, not vice versa.

MT 23:12 For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Self-importance and arrogance can creep into someones heart, life, and ministry very easily if they are overly praised or flattered by others, or if they have no one around them to help keep them grounded. One of the best ways that we can guard against this spiritual poison is just to ask God to fill us with His love for people on a daily basis. It's pretty hard to be full of yourself when you are full of God's love for people, so ask for more of it every day.

JN 21:17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

If God has given us the privilege of sharing in His ministry we must focus on how we can feed Jesus' sheep, and not on how they can feed us. You will find in the kingdom that the only Person that God really trusts and will promote is Jesus living through us, and not our flesh. We must decrease and allow Jesus to increase in our character and being. We must allow God's air freshener of humility to clear the stench of any spiritual pride in our life today.

JN 3:30 He must become greater; I must become less.

Here is a prayer to pray of you need it:

"Father I ask that you would forgive me for any spiritual pride or arrogance that I have allowed to stink up mine or other peoples lives. Please cleanse me this day of all spiritual pride and help me to see myself, others, and you as we truly are, and not just as I would like to see us. Help me God to live a truly humble and loving life here on earth, and to serve and feed your sheep as you would want me to. I ask this in Jesus precious name, amen."

1CO 4:6 Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. 7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?