Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips For Successful Ministry
This word posted by Lonnie Mackley

Tips For Successful Ministry

2TI 4:5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

I just want to share a few things that the Holy Spirit has taught me during the ministry in hopes that it can save you some time, heartache, and trouble. There are some things that I would have liked to have known before I started in ministry. With that said, here are the tips.

1. When dealing with people and their problems, the only side we should ever take is God's side. People will always tell you their sad story and try to get you on their side, but we must always remain as objective, impartial, and unbiased as possible when dealing with people.

2. Let truth and God's word always be what determines your choices and decisions. Never allow your emotions to dictate your words or actions, because emotions are unreliable and they usually change overnight. Truth will never fail you and always stand the test of time.

3. Spend time with God and reading His word every day. It can be easy to get too busy with ministry to spend time with God, but just like your physical body needs food or it gets weak, your soul and spirit must be fed daily to remain strong, or they too can get weak and fleshly.

4. Be obedient to the Holy Spirit's instant direction. God may ask you to do things when you don't want to, or don't feel like it, so be ready to do things in His timing, not yours. He sees everything real-time and together, so He alone knows the best time to go and do something.

5. Avoid distractions and keep your focus on the main thing that God has called you to do. Things like gossip, slander, being offended, foolish arguments, flattery, needs that you are not required to meet, opportunities not sent from God, and even fun can be big distractions.

6. Stay humble. Remember always that you are simply a sinner saved by grace, and don't believe your own press no matter how glowing. If people are receiving some good things from God through your ministry, then just know that God alone deserves the glory, and never us.

7. Be mindful of your flesh. If the Holy Spirit has shown you that you have a weak area or blind spot in your flesh, then just be aware of it when something around you is starting to push your old flesh buttons. Stop and respond the right way when your flesh alarm goes off.

8. Steer clear of too much intimacy with the opposite sex. There will always be someone around of the opposite sex that will get too close to you if you let them, but talk to God or someone more safe about your personal problems. Flirting can become adultery really fast.

9. Trust God "through" authority over you. If you still have any distrust or bitter roots against authority figures then you may react in a rebellious and controlling way toward what you feel is abusive or irresponsible leadership. Trust that God is in control of those in control of you.

10. Be a good steward of the resources and finances that come through your ministry. Don't just claim ignorance or immunity with what God gives into your ministry, and stay aware and accountable, lest those resources and finances be misused and get you into big big trouble.

11. Take time for yourself to relax and refresh. Even Jesus knew to do this with His ministry because He was aware of burnout. Spend good time with your family and have some fun, otherwise you will become too weak, and be more susceptible to temptation and your flesh.

12. Stay full of God's love for people. If you start to get fed up with people and just want to get away from them all, go pray and ask God to fill you afresh with His love for the sheep He has called you to feed. Sheep are usually very cute and cuddly, but at times they also bite.

13. Don't pick people to minister with or to, just because they are well known. Pick people that the Holy Spirit directs you to choose. Just like when David was anointed by Samuel to be king, Samuel didn't pick the most obvious choice, He picked God's choice for ministry.

14. Be relevant to peoples lives. We must be able to identify with people's lives and their problems without coming off as religious or plastic. Jesus never preached "at" people, He always preached "to" them, and out of a heart full of sincere love and genuine compassion.

15. Be willing to go where the need really is. Jesus was always willing to eat with the sinners or sit at a well with an untouchable. We too must be willing to go to the streets and not just try to drag people into a church. Be willing to go anywhere and everywhere for God.

Well that's basically it, but I'm sure that I could add many more things to this list. A lot of times Jesus wants us to learn things for ourselves, but He will also teach us through what others have learned and experienced. So I hope and pray that these tips can help you too.

2CO 6:3 We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SUCCESSFUL BELIEVER editor 0 480 02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Last Post: editor