Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advancing Through Adversity
Advancing Through Adversity
Robert Ricciardelli
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comfort, disappointment, and fear are three of the greatest enemies of our souls. We can be lulled into ineffectiveness for the Kingdom of God in the comfort of our lives. We can become weary and stagnant from affecting our spheres in this world because of disappointment. Fear can paralyze us so that we retreat from the battle of life, Jesus and the Word of God, promised we would face.
Comfort

One of the devices of the enemy is to engage us and consume us with self. Self wants to be comforted. Self desires the easy road, the easy life. Self wants to protect itself by not going out on a limb or really ever stretching your faith. Self wants to live a balanced life neither hot nor cold… That is a scary thought according to Revelations 3. I like the way the Message version reads;

Revelation 3:15-17
15-17"I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You're not cold, you're not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You're stale. You're stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.
Comfort enthusiasts are often deep rooted in pride. They tend to think that their life is their own and they are blinded to the fact that their very existence is the Lord’s and everything they have is His as well. One of the things we must be reminded of time and again is that we are His, our every breath is His. He may desire for us to give up all, including our very life for His sake. He may want us to leave jobs, friends, and family, while traveling to distant lands to serve Him.

We must put aside pleasure seeking lifestyles if we want to make an impact in our world and be faithful servants of the Most High God.

Matthew 6:33
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need

If we seek His Kingdom first and always, then He will give us what we need in our journey with Him. We are not alone, He is always with us. If we have plenty, it is for a purpose, and He will direct the plenty because it is His to direct. If we have little, then there is a reason, and we can trust that He will provide all that we need for His purposes.

We must put aside comfort when it gets in the way of our purpose. Do not seek comfort but have a deep concern when comfort stays around too long. This is not to be confused with peace. I am referring to comfortable lifestyles that keep us from advancing in glorifying the Lord in all that we do.

Disappointment

Disappointment and hopelessness seem to run together sometimes. We can fail to the point of finally giving up and not having hope for a bright future. Our God is the God of redemption, restoration, and brilliant futures for all of His people. Only in deception can we miss the fact that in Him, defeat is temporary and often becomes strength for the journey.

Romans 8:28
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Notice it says “everything” works together for the good of us.
This means that despite the good things that come;
defeat works together for the good,
delay works together for the good,
lack works together for the good,
loss works together for the good,
sickness works together for the good,
And finally, even death works together for the good for all of us, His children.

The Lord promises that the end result for all of us is triumphant, so be patient and be encouraged beloved of God.

Ecclesiastes 7:8
Better is the end of a thing than the beginning of it, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

Fear

We have all heard the saying, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. There is much truth in that statement. The enemy of our souls knows that if he can wrap us up in fear, that in effect we are disengaged from the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Much of the fear we have is never realized but can perpetuate real problems because we can no longer operate in faith when we have given fear a place in our lives. Remember, He is our Protector. I remember Jesus sleeping through the storm when fear had gripped the others.

Proverbs 3:24-26
You'll take afternoon naps without a worry,
you'll enjoy a good night's sleep.
No need to panic over alarms or surprises,
or predictions that doomsday's just around the corner,
Because GOD will be right there with you;
he'll keep you safe and sound.

People of God, we do not need to live in fear. When it comes out of your mouth, rebuke yourself. I have witnessed so many in fear of what lies ahead in the future for them. They are literally consumed to the point that their faith and their production for God has been neutralized. We should live in His wisdom and trust that He has you in His hands, because He does.

Running His Path..

Psalm 119:32
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

When we are set free by the Lord it does not mean that we can do anything we want at any time. We must not throw off all order and restraint, be self-indulgent, self-pleasing, self-willed. That is not real freedom. That’s slavery. It’s slavery to self and it’s slavery to sin.

Real freedom comes when God sets our heart free. Free from the bondages of comfort, disappointment, and fear. The psalmist says, “You’ve set my heart free.” What’s the evidence? “I run in the path of your commands.” When we are truly liberated by the grace of God and the power of God, it’s not to please ourselves, it’s not to do our own thing, but it’s to be able to obey God in every way, freely and joyfully.

When we run the path of His commands, there is little room to be lavished in comfort, there is little time for discouragement, and fear is removed because faith and purpose have taken over. Let’s advance His Kingdom regardless of what comes our way. When good things come, praise God, when devastation comes praise God.

Psalm 42:5
Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise him again—my Savior and my God!