Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manna 8
Manna Issue 8

1 Samuel 8:21 Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he rehearsed them in the ears of the LORD.

Can we do some role playing today? First I will set the stage and then we will put on a dress rehearsal of a play. Samuel was an elderly prophet and former judge over Israel. He had turned over the position of judge to his two sons who did not follow the Lord. The people complained to Samuel and demanded that a king be placed instead to rule over them. This displeased Samuel because having a king was the way of heathen nations that had surrounded them. Samuel, upset prayed to the Lord, and God answered him, "Samuel, hearken to the voice of these people, for they have not rejected you, but Me." God further warned Samuel to let them know what grief they were about to have as a result of rejecting the Lord and His ways. Samuel forewarned the Israelites, as we read , "Nevertheless, they refused to obey the voice of Samuel", and still insisted on their own way. They further proclaimed their desire to be like all other nations. Here our stage is set when Samuel approaches God and rehearses what the people have said to him.

I am writing today's food sermon, so guess who gets to be Samuel, and guess who gets to be the people who desire to break away from God and do as others do? Writing sure has its benefits! However, this time the twist to our storyline is that the people are dieters, the prophet is someone who has successfully been down the diet road before, and God will remain God, lovingly trying to refrain His chosen children from entering into an irreversible mistake.

They all agreed they wanted a quick fix, not God's long way of discipline. So the people gathered and each one spoke why they could not succeed under God's plan, why they were giving up, and why they were about to do something reckless. "It's not that bad for me to do what is a popular fad right now". "I'm menopausal". "I'm just too busy". "I'm waiting until after the holidays to lose weight". "I need to lose it before my high school reunion". "I never was good at discipline". "I have too much to lose". "God is too far away from my life right now". "This has nothing to do with my spirituality". "I pray but nothing happens". On and on, the people each had an excuse why they could not succeed or why God was unable to intervene in their lives. Each person said something that had been heard too often before, and each person believed that they were speaking the truth. Each person sought a way that wasn't God's way for them. So we read in the following verse of today's Scripture, (22) "And the LORD said to Samuel, 'Hearken unto their voice'". God gives them the desires of their hearts, knowing by their grumbling that they would not be appeased any other way. And now they will have man directing them, rather than God.

Who wants to be excused from their roles now, or perhaps you might want the writer to change the ending of this play? After all, it is only a dress rehearsal and not the finished product. Do we really want to do it our way? Do we really want to do what everyone else is doing just because they tout the value? Or do we really want to draw God in this journey with us, keeping a sharp lookout for what is His truth, and leaning heavily on the everlasting arms of His?

God so highly values us all that He has given the gift of freedom of choice to each of us. We are given choice by God, as written in Joshua 24:15, "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve". We make choices each and every day, and yes, some of them are not going to be God-pleasing, but man-pleasing. If you have ever fallen prey to some of these ads, you will know exactly what I mean about serving a foreign god as the Israelites did. "Lose weight while you sleep." "Lose at least 10 pounds in less than 14 days." "Exercise in a bottle". "Eat what you want and still lose weight". "Burn and digest dietary fat with this patented formula." "Block the absorption of fat, carbs, and calories with this pill!" "Wear this and watch the pounds melt away."

We know by common knowledge that nothing loses weight for anyone except restricting or limiting calories, and we know as Christians that nothing works except the fruit of the Holy Spirit ,self-control, a.k.a. as discipline. I have said it before, and I will continue to say it: It does not matter what diet plan that is sensible (not diet magic) you are on. If you allow discipline to be a part of your daily diet structure you will see results. If you additionally invite the Lord to reveal to you the reasons why you let this area get so out of control, you will see truth. Truth is the most powerful thing on earth because it is the only thing that cannot be changed. For us, Jesus Christ is the Truth. "He is the same yesterday, today and forever". (Hebrews 13:8) He is never a fad, He did not take a shortcut or quick fix to the cross, and He had the discipline and humility displayed to us, so many times over in the Scriptures, to obey the Father.

Our world has a strange fascination for instant everything. Gratification, appliances that come instantly on, web pages that load fast, answers to tests that we needn't study for, and does anyone remember how long travel took at one time? This is a changing world, but as Christians we must remember that the truth of God, nor His ways do not change. As I was writing this issue before daylight, I was also corresponding online with a Christian who I have known for almost a year as a dieter. Her last words to me were before she needed to go for the day , "You know I haven't tried to ask God for help In losing these extra pounds. Today I will ask Him to help me. Thanks. I always try to cast my worries to Him but I keep taking them back. You are right, He is never too busy to listen to his children. Amen"

Will I ever tire of telling people? No. It may be said quite a few times before it drops to the heart, "God cares about every detail that happens in your life, and He wants to be a part of it". God does not desire to see you fail. He does not rejoice when you do go down the wrong path, and neither does He tell you smugly some day, "I told you so." But He does give you free will. Today you will have that choice to quit your dieting attempts and give up, or keep on keeping on. Today you might be tempted to buy the latest pill that you have seen advertised, or realize the diet fraud is a 35 billion dollar industry. Today, that remainder of the chocolate cake might be beckoning you to devour it in a whole sitting, or you will walk away from it. God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)

What are you waiting on for today? What is in your heart and mind? Why wait another moment? Why not ask Him to be your Helper as He has promised to be? Why not trust Him and be patient as you go through the normal process of losing weight His way? And why not rehearse positive, godly words in His ear today? "I have tried everything but You. I think this is what You have been trying to teach me". "I am doing more and more things right these days". "I do believe You are able to conquer any problem that I have". "I am assured that You care for every detail of my life". "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Dear friends, "As Bread is the staff of our life, so appreciation is the food of the soul". Let God know that you appreciate all He has done and is about to do in your life. Take a step of faith today, and as you do, remember to keep looking up! Your deliverance is on its way. God can help like no other. I am praying you blessings and the fruit of self-control today.

Father God, we rejoice in Your goodness. We celebrate Your love for us. We pray You help us with our frailties. We ask that You direct us on the path that we should be on. Grant, us dear Lord, Your understanding and patience as we discover what will free us from being overweight. Amen ©2003-2007 www.gracetoday.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 1,274 08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Last Post: editor
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 610 08-29-2007, 12:14 AM
  Manna Issue 25 editor 0 563 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
  Manna Issue 24 editor 0 601 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
  Manna Issue 23 editor 0 572 08-08-2007, 02:26 AM