Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manna 10
Manna Issue 10

1 Peter 3:2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Did you have a meek and quiet spirit this week? Or did you voice loud complaints about dieting? Are you belly aching about having to restrict your calories and forego some of those favorite fattening foods to achieve your weight loss? Today we are going to talk not only about why our complaining results in defeat for us, but also why it isn't pleasing to God or others.

I hear it daily: "I can't stay on this diet." "I can't go without sugar." "I can't drink water instead of cola's." "I can't lose weight no matter what I do." "I can't exercise." "I can't stay focused." Wow, that even got me slightly depressed having to write down all the cant's I hear everyday. Did it affect you the same way? How many times have you caught yourself saying the very same things? The way we see a problem is the problem. If we see ourselves as failures, we are the problem and our weight gains are only symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself. Positive words and thoughts (joy, happiness, fulfillment, achievement, worthiness) have positive results (enthusiasm, calm, well-being, ease, energy, love). Negative words and thoughts (judgment, unworthiness, mistrust, resentment, fear) produce negative results (tension, anxiety, alienation, anger, fatigue). Choosing to be negative, or choosing to be positive daily will determine if we fulfill our dream of being thin again. When we choose to be negative, many of us will run right to the refrigerator or cupboard and eat ourselves silly in an attempt to comfort ourselves with food. We binge because we know of no other way to stuff those emotions we are experiencing. A self improvement author, Martin Seligman, has this to say on this subject: "Habits of pessimism lead to depression, wither achievement, and undermine physical health. The good news is that pessimism can be unlearned, and that with its removal depression, underachievement, and poor health can be alleviated."

Poor health caused by being overweight or obese is what we ultimately strive to eliminate. We know that just by shedding 10-20 pounds of weight that we will begin a marvelous journey to being healthy once more. I have experienced it myself, and I have heard so many others taut the same benefits. There is also the mental health issue when we lose weight, choose healthy foods and exercise that happens and we weren't even expecting that as a result!

Today I have a story about a donkey that will teach us all not to belly ache. Note this Scripture first because you will be hearing more from me on it in following weeks. Job 12:7 "But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you." Interestingly, while sometime we might not listen to other people telling us something, by studying the animal kingdom a point just may be driven home. One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally he decided the animal was very old and the well needed to be covered up anyway. And since it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey, he invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed shovels and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement, he quieted down. A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well and was astonished at what he saw. With every shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up. As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off! The moral of the story is as soon as the donkey quit belly aching, he discovered a solution to his woes.

Belly aching is not only what happens when we eat too much and our stomach disagrees, but when we complain too much it is appropriately called "belly aching." Losing weight gives a new bright world with confidence, but losing our pessimism gives us the ability to lose weight. We CAN do it, but not without God. Jesus said, "With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26) No matter how many times you have said, "Been there, done that," this time around by allowing God to be rightful Owner and Master of our bodies, we find a solution as to how to care for what He has entrusted us with. 1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

Perhaps you have said that your body is nobody's business but your own, but God says something different to us if we are in Christ. We may not be able to lose weight for ourselves, for our spouse, for our children, or family or friends as they might have asked you to before, but can we lose it for God? What do you say? Will you start this day believing that your body is not your own, but instead is the temple where God wants to dwell and give you peace? Are you ready to put on a meek and quiet spirit today? Dare you even praise and thank God in advance for what He is going to do in your life? Do we see the cup as half empty or half full? Psalm 23:5 "Thou anoints my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." God sees the cup of His blessings for you as over running. Do you see your cup like that also? Could it be that just like King David, until we thank God for all the blessings we do have, we might never put on the meek and quiet spirit that is pleasing to God, revealing all His blessings for us?

Dear ones, if we have not achieved what we have desired yet, I do know the struggles involved, but might we start looking from the inside, as God sees it, and then the outside (weight loss) will follow suit? I know that I have given you some food to chew on today, but I pray that it will not be cause you indigestion problems! Into His hands we commit our spirits (and bodies).

Dear God, forgive me when I grumble over the petty things. Grace me with the ability to praise you in all things because I have a gentle and meek spirit that will gather others to want to know You. Help me this week to be grateful that you have given me the opportunity to restore my body, and whatever my efforts are, I ask You to bless and multiply them, in the miracle working name of Jesus. Amen ©2003-2007 www.gracetoday.com
This put me in my place. hehehe. Complaining does not get us anywhere but feeling down etc. I need to do better on days I start complaining. Thanks for the reminder.
en guard' :bang: :lol_:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 1,274 08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Last Post: editor
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 610 08-29-2007, 12:14 AM
  Manna Issue 25 editor 0 563 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
  Manna Issue 24 editor 0 601 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
  Manna Issue 23 editor 0 572 08-08-2007, 02:26 AM