Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manna 13
Manna Issue 13

Isaiah 49:8 "Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee."

Is God helping you with your weight loss, or are you at a standstill? Does God really hear and answer our prayers, or are our prayers superficial to Him AND to us? Is it His fault when the scale does not react, or is it because we haven't reacted aggressively to the disciplines of dieting? Should we even bother God with something as insignificant as a few pounds? Food for thought today, and perhaps a little exhortation along the way. Before we examine if God is hearing us and just what the acceptable time is that He speaks of in our Scripture today, first hear a bit of humor from an elderly praying gentleman.

A journalist was assigned to the Jerusalem bureau of his newspaper. He gets an apartment overlooking the Wailing Wall. After several weeks he realizes that whenever he looks at the wall he sees an old Jewish man praying vigorously. The journalist wondered whether there was a publishable story here. He goes down to the wall, introduces himself and says: "You come every day to the wall. What are you praying for?" The old man replies: "What am I praying for? In the morning I pray for world peace, then I pray for the brotherhood of man. I go home, have a glass of tea, and I come back to the wall to pray for the eradication of illness and disease from the earth." The journalist is taken by the old man's sincerity and persistence. "You mean you have been coming to the wall to pray every day for these things?" The old man nods. "How long have you been coming to the wall to pray for these things?" The old man becomes reflective and then replies: "How long? Maybe twenty, twenty-five years." The amazed journalist finally asks: "How does it feel to come and pray every day for over 20 years for these things?" "How does it feel?" the old man replies. "It feels like I'm talking to a wall."

Dear ones, or you talking to a wall? Or are you talking to God? Do you say grace before your meal, or do you say prayers throughout the day? If you are remembering to take this weight problem to God in prayer, are you sure that you are praying to God our Father who lavishly provides, or are you just talking for the sake of hearing yourself talk? The reason I am asking this today is because my prayer life is something I take for granted, much like breathing. I moderate boards and I build Christian sites for over seven years now. And yet, each week or so, a new person will say, "I have never thought about taking my weight or dieting to the Lord before."

I keep pushing the bring your burdens to Him message---and I continually get people amazed that they never thought of that before. How many of you today will I surprise with this thought? Or heighten your awareness that you already have? I found this amazing fact on Easter regarding Christ's resurrection. (With Easter just passing I was searching for how others felt about the joyous news). In the latest Voice of Atlanta poll, nearly 14 percent of those identifying themselves as Christians said either they did not believe in the resurrection or were unsure whether it happened. These are Christians, not skeptics. If we doubt the essential doctrine of our faith, what do we do with those we consider to be of lesser significance? Does God hear all prayer? Does God answer all prayer? Is God concerned about the condition of your body? If we ask for the fruit of the Holy Spirit , self-control being one, and we don't receive it is it because God's power has weakened, He has run out of blessings, or He is far too busy to answer you this week; come back in the next decade when He has less pressing things on His mind? I found a little prayer survey on new-life.net It will certainly give you an idea of how you feel about prayer. If you would like to let me know your answers, I would be happy to tally them for next week's issue by putting what our average COLLECTIVE score was for our reader's. No names are given, just the bare essentials. It might each give us insight as how we feel about praying to God for deliverance with our weight bondage individually , and what we expect in turn for God to do for us. I believe the solution to our weight problems BEGINS with prayer.

How about a prayer survey? Read each positive and negative statement and then rate yourself on a scale of 1 (highest) through 10 (lowest). When you are done, add up your total score for all ten statements. POSITIVE NEGATIVE I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that God answers prayer. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I believe there is a God but I question whether He is personally interested in man. I don’t always know how God answers prayers but I always have faith He will 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 If I don’t see an obvious answer I begin to wonder if God answers at all. I often praise and thank God as well as petition Him. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I treat God like a Santa Claus: Give me this, give me that. When God says, "No," I feel it is for my own good. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I can hardly accept a "no" answer. When God answers a prayer my faith is strengthened 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 "Answered prayer" in my book is just a coincidence. If God says, "Wait a while," I accept His timing without reservation. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I prayed once and God never answered, so I don’t pray anymore. I find myself praying all during the day. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Days go by and I never pray. When I don’t feel like praying that’s when I pray the hardest. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 If I don’t feel like praying then I don’t. I feel as comfortable praying in public as I do alone. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I won’t pray in public. I feel my prayer life is really growing. When you are done, total your entire point value and this is what the test reveals about your prayer life:

Score 100-90 You either have a salvation problem or you think God is a pretty lousy Father.
Score 89-51 "Lord, teach us how to pray" (Luke 11:1). Seek instruction.
Score 50-36 "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Matthew 26:40-41).
Score 35-21 You are "A man (or woman) after God's heart!" (1 Samuel 13:14)
Score 10-20 We'll call you "Camel Knees" like James, the Lord's brother, who loved to pray!

If the quiz and score is too complicated, spend this week in examination instead. In just a few short days there will be a celebration of Pentecost. Won't you let the Holy Spirit make improvements in you this year? I believe how we pray will project on how well, as Christian dieters, we will do in the weight loss arena. How did you do? Let me remind you all that the Bible says, James 4: 2 "You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

Oh my, does that fit in here today with us dieters. What are our motives? What are those pleasures James knew about? Are you going to ask God today for dieting help while you indulge in the pleasures of a bag of potato chips and two Reese Cup candy bars? Do we have a misalignment in our Christian life as suggested in verse 2 where our prayers our "bouncing off the wall" as was today's look at the man at the Wailing Wall? Do we need to begin at square one---our prayer life--to see why we are not receiving what we ask for in prayer? Are you a blessed dieter who has been delivered from the yo-yo cycle which is so often acquainted with a dieter? Will you maintain your weight loss quite easily because God has declared in today's Scripture, "I will preserve you."

I want to share with you a comment I had recently. For space I have condensed it and just put in the comment and reply that was pertinent. "I am an African American Christian and hoping to lose weight and get in shape (again). My third baby is almost 3 now, and I weigh 175 pounds. I still look pretty decent to most people because I work out. However, I find that most AA women seem to have given up on weight loss, or don't care because their husbands "like them the way they are." Well, I know that this addiction to food is killing me inside, and I know if I keep it up, I will ruin my health and looks. I know how to eat right, however, I just need support to stop depending on food in the way I should be depending on God." My reply: "Don't allow yourself to buy into what others think. You will witness of God to others first by what you appear to be, and then who you are. His Holy Spirit dwells within you so make it an attractive temple that others may want to enter in. P.S. My former pastor is an African American weighing over 350 pounds. We challenged each other to weight loss and I was able to do it. She continues on in great endeavors for the Kingdom of God, but unable to accomplish this in her body. What is the difference? DESIRE. Do you have the desire to succeed?"

That is how I am ending today's food sermon, with the question, Do you have the desire to succeed? See, we can't put it off on God as not answering our prayers. What we must say is, what does our prayers and actions look like? "Faith without works is dead", James also tells us. We need both faith when we pray and works as we gratefully receive the answers from God in our prayers. Take time today to pray, and then go for a 15 minute walk. Put on an exercise tape and do a segment. Say no to last evening's lasagna and say yes to a helping of vegetables instead. Pray and then react, just as God hears and reacts to each one of our pleas for help. This time, this day, this moment you can do it. God hears your prayers, let Him see your expectant faith saying, "Thank You, Lord!" Don't wait until you hear from God saying, "Faith without works is dead." Get off that sofa today and move around. Then clean out your cupboards and toss away those non-essential food items that do not suit the Christian dieter. Go to your pantry and drag out those cans of asparagus and spinach and open one this evening for dinner. Go shopping and bypass the snack aisle and go to fresh fruits and vegetables instead. There is so much active faith that you can react to with the prayers you have voiced to God. And, oh yeah, don't forget to put in the refrigerator a nice cold pitcher of water so you might have that rather than that cola.

Prayer: Father God, I acknowledge that You hear and answer every prayer I send to You. Not on the basis of my abilities or worth, but because You are God who loves us. I ask for You to strengthen my prayer life today, and remind me often that it is my lifeline to You and to the deliverance that I so desire. I bless You today for being close to me. Help me to stay close to You throughout the day as I watch my actions with food, and as I present my spirit to You. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen ©2001-2007 www.gracetoday.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 1,274 08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Last Post: editor
  (Last) Manna Issue 26 editor 0 610 08-29-2007, 12:14 AM
  Manna Issue 25 editor 0 563 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
  Manna Issue 24 editor 0 601 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
  Manna Issue 23 editor 0 572 08-08-2007, 02:26 AM