Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Motorcycles and Broken Lives
Broken Motorcycles and Broken Lives
by Paige Longenecker

More than one million motorcycles and scooters are sold in the U.S. every year. And more “bikers” are on the road today than ever before. Some of those riders don't know Jesus, and there’s a “biker grandma” who hopes to reach every one of them.

Myrtle Hollingsworth, 81, and her family have been leading people to Christ through their Harley-Davidson shop for 61 years.

“There are lots of people that come into the store that would never think of going to a church, because of their general appearance, and because people would not welcome them,” explains Hollingsworth. “But my customers feel completely free to come in regardless of outside appearance. We can talk about broken motorcycles or broken lives. I have an opportunity to have much prayer with folks that possibly would never go into a church.”

Myrtle and her husband, Limey, met at a motorcycle race before World War II. They raised six children together in St. Augustine, Florida, serving God as owners of a humble Harley shop, until the Lord moved them to their current location five years ago.

“We have had opportunity to share fun times with many people, and [we have] been able to share Jesus with many people…” says Hollingsworth. “Someone comes in and has a need and we strike up a conversation. It’s not unusual to have prayer right in my little corner office.”

Mrs. Hollingsworth would never tell you that she received a family counseling degree from Liberty University at age 65. And, in honor of her daughter Hellen who died in 1964, Myrtle runs a half-way house for women coming out of prison. She sees work as one big opportunity to help others.

“I’m going to have a blast while I last! And, and it is a happy life. Everything that I encounter is not all roses. But when things come along, it depends on the way you accept the things that are placed in your path,” explains Hollingsworth. “In the mornings when I wake up, I give my day to the Lord.”

She believes in living out the truth of Ephesians 2:10 which says, “We are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”

Hollingsworth advises, “Don’t groan when the alarm clock goes off, but be excited because it’s another beautiful day. Yesterday [has passed]; tomorrow is not here; but today is a present—and accept today as a present and be excited about it.”

Since August 2007, Myrtle’s husband, Limey, passed away and she sold their Harley-Davidson shop. But don’t think for a moment that she’s stopped ministering. You’ll find her counseling and leading others to Jesus Christ from her office inside the shop’s original location in St. Augustine.

“Not only do I have children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, but I have an extended family that I am so, so very glad to have,” shares Hollingsworth.

God calls each of us to a unique place of service for Him. Myrtle Hollingsworth’s life is a perfect answer to the Life Question, “How can I find fulfillment in my work?” from Dr. Stanley’s Life Principles Bible.
Great posting Candy. This woman is doing a wonderful job.
Myrtle sounds like a real sweetheart. We used to live in St. Augustine so if I ever get back there, I'm going to look her up.
That would be so awesome! Please don't forget to tell me if you ever do. That would be such a blessing to Myrtle if you could swing that.